Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Nanny's Pimento Cheese

Traveling with an aunt, uncle, and two cousins to Florida one summer, we stopped for lunch. Only, we didn't stop at a McDonalds or other fast food joint. My aunt made sandwiches from the pimento cheese my grandmother (Nanny) had made. I knew pimento cheese was that orange crap in the grocery store, but this wasn't orange, had a creamy consistency, and I thought I might be able to manage eating it, since it didn't look like a Happy Meal was in my near future. After one bite, I was hooked. Since then, I have loooooved to go to my nanny's and find it in her refrigerator. The week before my wedding, she brought me some and I had it for lunch every day.

I have searched and searched for the proper methodology to make pimento cheese. Google is no help. Nanny told me the ingredients were Velveeta, mayonnaise, and pimentos, but I didn't think I could just stir in a brick of Velveeta and a jar of pimentos into a jar of mayo and be done. This past weekend, I asked her EXACTLY what she did (my grandma is also one of those "a pinch of this, a dab of that" cooks if that explains anything) and she told me. I just made my own, and it is great! I also lightened it up a bit...I don't know how South Beach Friendly it is, but I would think it is Phase 2 friendly on a sandwich, and possibly Phase 1 friendly as a dip for veggies.

Pimento Cheese--the 3 P recipe
1 Pint of Duke's Light Mayonnaise (I shun any other kind)
1 Pound of 2% Velveeta
1 jar of Pimentos (diced)

1) Melt the Velveeta in a double boiler
2) Meanwhile, put Duke's and pimentos in the bowl you plan to store the pimento cheese in.
3) When the Velveeta is completely melted, mix it into the Duke's and pimentos.
4) Refrigerate and enjoy on sandwiches or with crackers or veggies

No comments:

Post a Comment